Athletes have a wide range of needs for legal guidance, making it important to have a team of sports law attorneys with experience across several areas of law. At Fraser Trebilcock, our sports law group has the knowledge and expertise to act as general legal counsel for professional athletes and the unique legal issues they face.
We are equipped to provide the following legal services that most professional athletes will need at some point in their career, or in retirement:
- Business Law: corporate entity selection and structure, franchising, charitable giving/foundations, financing arrangements, and investments.
- Labor and Employment Law: wage and hour matters, labor organizations and trade associations, grievance arbitration.
- Estate Planning: wills and trusts, powers of attorney, protecting key business and personal assets, domestic asset protection trusts, business succession and legacy planning, administration of an estate.
- Contract Negotiation: licensing and merchandising agreements, marketing and endorsement opportunities and agreements, investment contracts, real estate transactions, franchise agreements.
- Family Law: child support, custody, divorce, pre and post marital planning,prenuptial and post nuptial agreements.
- Intellectual Property: copyright and trademark issues, right of publicity, personal brand, image and likeness, infringement litigation.
- Real Estate Law: structuring, negotiating and closing transactions involving real estate investments, acquisitions and dispositions, mortgage financing, landlord tenant issues, tax and economic incentives.
- Tax Planning: tax planning, transaction structure, ongoing counsel on changes in the law, and tax and legal ramifications of transactions.
- Criminal Law: all stages of criminal proceedings including felonies and misdemeanors, drug, alcohol and doping violations.
- Civil litigation: commercial litigation, contractual disputes, arbitration, contract disputes; patent, trademark and copyright representation, tax and property tax litigation.
In addition, our sports law attorneys have the knowledge and experience to represent coaches, amateur athletes and their parents, amateur sports organizations, entities, administrators, educational institutions, and governing bodies within youth, high school, or college sports.
Business Legal Compliance Checklist
A critical overview of laws and regulations governing businesses of all sizes.