- Job Type: Full time
- Compensation: Hourly Position
Full Job Description
Fraser Trebilcock Law Firm is currently seeking an experienced Litigation / Intellectual Property Legal Assistant to undertake a variety of administrative and clerical tasks. The selected candidate will work under the supervision of up to three (3) attorneys and will support the preparation of correspondence and legal briefs for Federal, Michigan, and District Courts, including the Michigan Court of Appeals, and Michigan Supreme Court, as well as prepare legal documents and patent applications, perform background research to provide attorneys and their clients possible avenues of pursuit, i.e., preserve the patent, file a new one, or assess whether a competitor has violated the clients' patent rights. Process the filing of new patent application where required. The goal is to sustain the efficiency of all office procedures and case management to guarantee reliability and consistency in products produced.
- Provide administrative support for up to three (3) attorneys.
- Prepare correspondence and legal briefs for filing with Federal, Michigan and District Courts, including the Michigan Court of Appeals and Michigan Supreme Court.
- Effectively communicate with witnesses, clients, colleagues, administrators, and shareholders (partners) and other Firm contacts.
- Greet visitors and perform initial screening of clients.
- Assist with the preparation of case briefs, prepare synopses of depositions, contracts, and testimony.
- Conduct thorough statistical/documentary research.
- Source and verify important case intelligence.
- Produce and file various legal documents including but not limited to appeals, briefs, motions, notice of hearing, petitions and other pleadings as required.
- Preserve an updated case record system.
- Answer phone calls, take notes/messages and redirect calls when appropriate.
- Maintain and update inventories of contact details.
- Facilitate the meeting of deadlines by keeping multiple agendas and providing timely reminders.
- Ability to multitask and being comfortable dealing with a diverse pool of people.
- Litigation and court e-filing experience is necessary; and
- Other duties as assigned.
Intellectual Property Responsibilities
- Provide and maintain current knowledge of United States and foreign rules relating to intellectual property as well as Firm procedures.
- Perform administrative and research -related duties for attorneys.
- Process filing of new patent applications.
- Maintain knowledge of filing requirements, patent prosecution procedures, renewal data, expiration data, etc.
- Prepare and approximate correspondence from foreign associates and clients regarding new applications, formal requirements, filing details, etc.
- Provide follow-up service regarding due dates to clients by telephone, e-mail, or letter.
- Responsible for certification/legalization of formal documents.
- Prepare and forward to clients, letters, patent documents, acceptance notices filing reports, publication information and other related patent materials.
- Process formal documents to foreign associates.
- Prioritize workload to meet deadlines and due dates.
- Prepare correspondence and perform clerical duties necessary to complete patent filing process and maintain files.
- Facilitate the meeting of deadlines and perform job responsibilities under pressure efficiently, productively, and professionally; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent (Required).
- Legal Secretarial with Litigation: 2+ years (Required).
- Legal Secretarial with Intellectual Property with 2+ years (Required).
- Knowledge of constitution, legal terminology, regulations, and court system.
- Knowledge of patent prosecution procedures and/or law firm experience.
- Experience with the patent application filing process.
- Knowledge of MS Office and ability to work with legal technology (court-filing computer systems, transcription software, Dictaphone etc.).
- Working knowledge of litigation management software systems is a plus.
- Strong communication and negotiation skills.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple responsibilities.
- Strong attention to detail, goal oriented.
- Ability to critically think through obstacles and get results; and
- Multilingual is a plus.
Candidates must have at least 2 years of legal secretarial experience working within a law firm environment. Must be highly organized, have excellent communication skills, and be detail orientated. Minimum typing speed of 75 wpm and exceptional computer skills working within the MS Word environment are required. Excellent salary and benefit package including retirement plan. Salary commensurate with experience.
Compensation & Benefits
- Hourly rate.
- Promotional opportunities.
- Medical, Dental and Vision coverage.
- FSA, HSA optional.
- Life & AD&D coverage.
- Voluntary life coverage – optional.
- Long-term Disability.
- Short-term Disability – optional.
- 401k after 1 year.
- Currently – 1 hybrid day per week; and
- A great work environment.
- 7-hour shift, worked between 9:00am to 5:00pm Monday to Friday, one (1) hour for lunch, required.
- Minimal remote work options available.